Friday, May 21, 2010

A New Beginning

I got an email today from someone in the HR department at work. Completely not work related, just asking me if I was still biking to work. Turns out it's National Bike to Work Day. It's storming, I'm out of shape, and I'm completely off my 3rd shift schedule. So today I am driving to work later. Oddly enough.

But it did feel good that someone took the time to think about me. I don't think they understand what is truly going on with my job right now, but that may be for the better. I could get all bitter about the situation at work, but I am actually starting to enjoy the job hunt.

In the past 48 hours, I have considered jobs or looked into working at a credit union, going back to being a game show host, writing, and even being a bike courier.

Regardless of the circumstances, I am finding a new job as I work in a sea of negativity and viciousness. The third shift hours are getting to me as well, and I honestly think it's time for me to change. The atmosphere of everyone I work with just counting down the time until they leave is also kind of depressing -- just counting down. Each minute another bit of life gone by. I'd rather live my life a little rather than just work for a paycheck.

That, and this whole 'un-corporating' my life thing means I should put my money where my mouth is and leave corporate America.

But I've got some resumes out, some applications filed, and a ton of emails sent.

We've been doing good about not shopping at the grocery store. My wife has her blog (she started it without my knowledge, it's in the sidebar -- A Better Shell) and she did go to Kroger earlier this week, but she stuck to the organic section. So I guess that's kind of a compromise. It can be very hard to do something like this especially when you work late nights.

Throughout this experience I plan on doing reviews of local businesses and new products I come across. Perhaps a few book reviews.

I kind wish I had started this blog sooner though, as I have already started to find local alternatives and my initial reactions to the change in lifestyle.

First and foremost, I will say, I feel a lot more alive when I go to the markets instead of the lonely aisles of Costco pushing a cart with little human interaction. I won't get into it, but I'm looking forward to the next 90 days, as this is my goal to get everything completely un-corporated.

1 comment:

  1. I am so happy for you. I know you will find a job that you can enjoy and start living the good life.

    ReplyDelete